posted on December 25, 2008 07:58
The Dotnetnuke team have unexpectedly released 2 versions of their DNN platform - v4.9.1 Stabilisation Release and the long awaited v5.0.0 codenamed Cambrian.
DNN 4.9.1 offers several enhancements and several bugs that have been resolved in DNN 5 have been backported to DNN 4.8.x and DNN 4.9.x branches of the platform. "DNN 5 was a massive change that involved hundreds of bug fixes, changes and enhancements". There are many bug fixes and enhancements which are only available to DNN 5.
Dotnetnuke 5 has been in development for over a year and has been tested extensively. However this does not mean it will be free from bugs or other issues. As always it is recommended that you install any new DNN releases locally and test to see if it "breaks" any part of your website prior to upgrading a live server.
- Added jQuery support to the core platform. jQuery will now be distributed as part of the DotNetNuke installation and will be available for use by module developers.
- Added support for Internet Explorer 8 Web Slices. Administrators can configure any module to use IE8 Web Slices including the ability to set time-to-live and expiration values.
- Removed distinction between admin modules and pages and normal pages. This allows administrators to easily delegate access to any portion of the application to any group of users.
- Updated the installation services to support manifest files for all extension types. Now skins, containers, providers and modules are all first class citizens that can be installed and uninstalled.
- Expanded XHTML, WCAG and ADA compliance.
- Refactored core to improve support for Unit Testing. Refactored several core classes to use interfaces and added a simple component factory to provide dependency injection support.
- Added ability to deny permissions in the permissions grid. This new feature extends the permission framework to give administrators greater flexibility in defining permissions.
- Includes a rollup of all 4.x security fixes
The following modules and providers have been updated in the 5.0.0 packages. Please see the specific project pages for notes on what bugs or enhancements were corrected with each release.